VOLUNTEERING FOR FRESH START FOR HENS
We have an amazing team of volunteers who get thousands of hens out of cages and barns every year, and into forever homes.
We are currently in the process of extending our network of Collection Points in England and Wales and are looking for volunteers to:
- Host collection points
- Assist at local collection points
- Drive vans to transport hens
In addition to the above – we have a farm team made up of experienced, trusted volunteers who help us to take hens out of cages and barns. The hens are checked over for any ailments/illness before loading them into poultry crates and onto vans, ready for transportation by our drivers to the many collection points.
Extending our network of collection points will allow us to get hens out to many more rehomers and ultimately allow us to save more hens.
Please note: we mostly use Facebook to communicate with our volunteers
Interested in Hosting a Collection Point?
Potential CP Hosts require:
- Good vehicular access to property
- Secure holding area for hens – either a spare run, a temporary fenced area, gazebo with net sides, stable, etc. This must be away from your existing flock to ensure good biosecurity.
- Sufficient parking for 3 or 4 rehomer cars at a time
- Be able to offer hens clean water and food
- Good communication skills, able to send emails and texts, a friendly and welcoming manner.
Hosting a collection point involves liaising with rehomers prior to event, receiving hens prior to rehomers arriving (some heavy lifting), settling them into a holding area, checking for health issues then meeting and greeting rehomers and ensuring hens are securely placed into their pet carriers, etc.
Collection Point Hosts will receive training before participating in a rehoming day.
Interested in Helping at a Local Collection Point?
Helping CP to set up their holding area, perhaps helping to communicate with rehomers by email or telephone, assisting unloading the van (some heavy lifting) carrying out hen health checks, helping rehomers on the day load hens into pet carriers/poultry crates/cardboard boxes
Interested in driving for us?
- Full driving licence
- Driving own van or able to hire van (expenses paid)
- May involve traveling to farms or simply delivering hens from one CP to another.
If you are interested in joining our team of volunteers please complete the application form below.